May 12 City Commission meeting highlights
If you were unable to watch or attend the City Commission meeting held May 12 in City Hall Commission Chambers, below are a few highlights of decisions made at the meeting:
• Presentations and proclamations were held recognizing the following:
o Winter Park High School State Championships
o Best of Show from 2014 Winter Park Sidewalk Art Festival
o Healthy Weight Community Champions Award
o Building Safety Month
o EMS Week
o North American Occupational Safety and Health Week
• The slate of 2014 board appointments were nominated and approved.
• The Financial Report – March 2014 was presented.
• The minutes of April 28, 2014 were approved.
• The various purchases and contracts were approved (a complete listing can be found at cityofwinterpark.org/ccpackets)
• The lease agreement with National Railroad Passenger Corporation (Amtrak) for occupation of the new Winter Park Train Station located at 148 W. Morse Blvd. was approved.
• The following were the results of the requests of Benjamin Partners, LTD and the Sydgan Corporation representing Bubbalous Inc. on the properties at 970,1000,1008 and 1306 Loren Ave.; 1141 Benjamin Ave. and 1313 Lewis Drive, in conjunction with the Ravaudage Planned Development:
o The second reading of the ordinance amending the “Comprehensive Plan” Future Land Use Map to change the Future Land Use Designations of Commercial and Low Density Residential to Planned Development Future Land Use designation was approved.
o The second reading of the ordinance amending the Official Zoning Map to change the Commercial and Low Density Residential District designations to Planned Development District Zoning was approved.
• The second reading of the ordinance governing garbage collection service in the Center Street business corridor was approved.
• The resolution communicating support of an extension of Lee Road east of U.S. Highway 17-92 and turning south to intersect with Webster Avenue; authorizing the transmittal of this resolution to the Florida Department of Transportation, was approved.
• The resolution requesting the Orange County Board of County Commissioners to extend the life of the CRA for five years was approved.
A full copy of the May 12 City Commission minutes will be available at cityofwinterpark.org the week of June 9, pending approval by the City Commission. Remember, if you are unable to attend the City Commission meetings, you can watch them live, gavel-to-gavel as they happen. During the meeting, simply log on to cityofwinterpark.org/cclive to easily stay tuned-in to official city business.
Click It or Ticket
The Winter Park Police Department will be joining national and local law enforcement agencies for the National “2014 Click It or Ticket” seat belt enforcement wave. Stepped-up law enforcement activities will be conducted now through Monday, May 26. Officers will be focusing their traffic enforcement efforts toward unbelted vehicle occupants around the clock during this time.
In 2012, seat belts saved an estimated 12,174 people from death. From 2008 to 2012 seat belts saved nearly 63,000 lives. Fatal injury of front seat vehicle occupants is reduced by 45 percent and serious injury by 50 percent with proper seat belt usage.
WPPD encourages everyone to wear their seat belts and use proper child safety equipment at all times, but is asking drivers to have a heightened sense of awareness during the enforcement campaign. Buckle up and encourage your loved ones to do the same. You’ll save $114, the cost of a ticket, and may even save a life.
Tell us what you think about sustainability
Currently in draft form, the city is looking for public input to help fine-tune its Sustainability Action Plan that will ultimately help the city have a more sustainable future. Please help the city shape this plan by sharing your feedback in a survey found at cityofwinterpark.org/SAP by Monday, June 30. For more information regarding the Sustainability Program or action plan, please visit the city’s official website at cityofwinterpark.org/sustainability or call 407-599-3364.
Winter Park to celebrate Farmers Market 35th Anniversary
You’re invited to attend the Winter Park Farmers Market 35th Anniversary Celebration on Saturday, May 17, at 10 a.m. The Farmers Market is located at 200 W. New England Ave. Festivities will include door prizes, live music, vendor discounts, free market bags, and kid-friendly activities such as face painting, a bounce house and more. A doggie fashion show will be held on the main stage at 9 a.m. for dogs dressed in their favorite baked good, produce or farmers market attire. Fashion show participants can register at 8:30 a.m. For more information, please call 407-599-3275.
Round Robin Tennis Tournament
The city’s Parks and Recreation Department will present the fifth annual Nancy Reed Memorial Round Robin Tennis Tournament on Monday, May 19, at the Winter Park Tennis Center located at 1075 Azalea Lane. Check-in begins at 8:30 a.m. for round-robin play from 9 to 11 a.m.
Nancy Corse Reed was born in Minnesota, raised in Maryland, and became Winter Park’s internationally known professional tennis player. She was a longtime resident of Winter Park and a Rollins graduate, where she had established a scholarship fund in her and Patricia Graham’s name. Reed was ranked in the Woman’s USTA and ranked No. 1 in the senior USTA in seven different age divisions. She represented the United States competing as a member of six cup teams and also won 96 gold balls, the award given to a USTA national champion. The Winter Park Tennis Center at Azalea Lane was fortunate to have Reed as one of their teaching pros for 26 years, and she made invaluable contributions to all phases of their tennis programs.
Space for the Round Robin Tournament is limited and players are asked to RSVP by Friday, May 16, by emailing NancyReedScholarship@gmail.com. Snacks and beverages will be made available to players. A donation of $10 to the Nancy Reed Scholarship Fund at Rollins College is suggested.
For more information regarding the tournament, please call 407-599-3445.
Visit the city’s official website at cityofwinterpark.org, find us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter, watch us on Vimeo.