City Commission meeting
There will be a City Commission meeting Monday, Oct. 8, at 3:30 p.m., in City Hall Commission Chambers located at 401 S. Park Ave. Below are a few topics of interest:
• Proclamation - City of Winter Park’s 125th Anniversary
• Presentation - Purchasing Division’s Achievement of Excellence in Procurement Award
• Proclamation - Public Power Week
• Financial Report – August 2012
• Approve the minutes of Sept. 24.
• Approve various purchases and contracts. For a complete listing, please visit cityofwinterpark.org under “What’s New.”
• Authorize the city manager, in consultation with the city attorney, to sign purchase orders as it relates to HIDTA.
• Approve the interlocal agreement with Orange County regarding the reimbursement for Phase II of the Minnesota Avenue drainage design project.
Action Items Requiring Discussion
• Strategic plan
• Notice of Intent to Dispose of property at 845 W. New England Ave.
• Request of Rex-Tibbs Construction Co. Inc. for the property at 271 N. Pennsylvania Ave.:
o Second reading of the ordinance amending the Comprehensive Plan Future Land Use Map to change the designation of Commercial to Medium Density Residential.
o Second reading of the ordinance changing the existing zoning designation of Commercial District to Medium Density Residential District.
• Request of Winter Park Town Center Development, LLC, for the property located at 940 W. Canton Ave.:
o The second reading of the ordinance changing the Comprehensive Plan Future Land Use Map Designation from Office to High Density Residential; a text change to the property’s designation on the maximum height map from a maximum three stories to a maximum four stories; and to add a new policy for residential density allowance.
o The second reading of the ordinance changing the zoning designation from Office to Multi-Family District, and the property’s designation on the maximum height map from a maximum three stories to a maximum four stories.
• Request for waiver of the one-year time period for reapplication for Comprehensive Plan/Rezoning at 861 W. Canton Ave.
City Commission Reports
You can find the City Commission’s full agenda on the home page of cityofwinterpark.org under What’s New > City Commission Agenda.
New fire truck in town!
As Winter Park’s Fire-Rescue Department continues to assess and improve its levels of service to the community, a new piece of fire apparatus will soon be seen driving the streets of Winter Park. More than a year ago, the department initiated discussions that led to a change in the type of aerial apparatus it would purchase to replace the existing unit. Seeing an opportunity to improve efficiency and mobility into many of the city’s narrow streets, the department opted to employ some older, proven technology and have purchased what is referred to as a tractor-drawn aerial device or tiller-operated truck.
While not seen for some years in our area, tiller aerial trucks are very common in some parts of the country and are making a resurgence in communities like Winter Park where street access and tight turns are a serious issue for large apparatus. In Florida, cities such as Tampa, Jacksonville and Clearwater have also recently returned these maneuverable units to their fire apparatus fleet. The modern design of this unit will afford not only increased maneuverability through traffic, but will allow the truck to quickly access some of the city’s more difficult to negotiate narrow streets and turns.
This new truck will not only provide drastically increased maneuverability, but because this is the type of truck where one firefighter sits in the rear, it will offer our firefighters 300 additional cubic feet of storage space allowing for the consolidation of existing tools and equipment onto one unit. This new firefighting unit combines the technology of today with the proven maneuverability of tiller driven trucks. Citizens should expect to see the new unit on the streets in the next few weeks.
Public forum on proposed tree ordinance
On Tuesday, Oct. 9, from 6 to 7 p.m., the city of Winter Park will hold a public meeting regarding the proposed changes to the current Tree Preservation Ordinance #2724-07. The forum will be held in City Hall Commission Chambers located on the second floor at 401 S. Park Ave.
City staff will be presenting:
• History of the tree preservation ordinance
• Current process to remove protected trees
• Comparison of the current ordinance to the proposed ordinance
The meeting is open to the public and attendees will have an opportunity to ask questions regarding the proposed changes. City staff is currently working on finalizing the policies regarding right of way tree maintenance and the Urban Forestry Plan. Information regarding those two specific topics will be presented and addressed at a later date.
To view the current ordinance and the proposed changes, please visit cityofwinterpark.org under Departments > Building & Code Enforcement > Code Enforcement > Tree Preservation or call 407-599-3427.
125th anniversary Prayer Breakfast Tickets on sale now
The city of Winter Park is proud to announce a community prayer breakfast to celebrate the 125th anniversary of the city’s incorporation. Residents and visitors are invited to join city and religious leaders for this inclusive, faith-based, communitywide event on Friday, Oct. 12, at First Congregational Church of Winter Park, United Church of Christ, located at 225 S. Interlachen Ave.
The full-service gourmet breakfast begins at 7:45 a.m. and will be immediately followed by a prayer service at 9 a.m. in the church Sanctuary. Tickets for the breakfast are on sale now for $25 per person at 407-647-2416 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Purchase tickets now, as seating is limited. Breakfast attendees are guaranteed seating at the prayer service. The service is free and open to the public.
The community is also encouraged to attend the following once-in-a-lifetime events celebrating Winter Park’s 125th anniversary:
THURSDAY, OCT. 4
• Winter Park and Rollins College: 125 Years of Memories opening reception
• 5 - 7 p.m.; Winter Park Welcome Center Galloway Room
FRIDAY, OCT. 12
• 1887 Ergood Hall Incorporation Meeting
• 2 p.m.; corner of Morse Boulevard and Park Avenue, just outside Penseys Spices
• Winter Park Historical Association’s Peacock Ball
• 5:30 – 10 p.m.; Central Park West Meadow
SATURDAY, OCT. 13
• 39th annual Winter Park Autumn Art Festival
• 11 a.m. cake-cutting; Central Park in downtown Winter Park
SATURDAY, OCT. 20
• Harriett’s Park Avenue Fashion Week Runway Show
• 6 p.m.; Central Park West Meadow
For additional information, please click the 125th anniversary button on the home page of the city’s official website at cityofwinterpark.org, follow us on Facebook and Twitter, or call 407-599-3428.
Visit the city’s official website at cityofwinterpark.org, like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter, and watch us on Vimeo.