Anyone with bat brains knows that strength is the best defense against being picked on. It's quite natural to wish to admire our U.S. Presidents. However, Barack Obama seems the weakest and the least experienced of any President I can remember. Obama's latest announcement left me amazed, even stunned. Whether he has considered it carefully or not, Obama's benign dream of mutual atomic disarmament by the U.S. and Russia could potentially lead to an Iran with nuclear possibilities, i.e., a mighty threat to a disarmed USA. One can imagine that the Irani's and any other potential enemies were gleeful to hear that Obama would conceivably tie our hands behind our back.
If the United States had been militarily powerful in 1941, would the Japanese have dared to attack Pearl Harbor? If the Japanese had thought we could overwhelm them immediately thereafter, they would have kept their ship and planes at home.
Obama proves for all the world to see that he is as short-sighted in power politics, as he is in running the U.S. economy. Many aware citizens will not sleep well until Obama is out of the White House, and the world again knows that our foreign policy is built upon annihilating retaliation.
•House of Representatives member Susan Kosmas went on record negatively re: the Health Bill. Since then she was pursued aggresively in intense meetings with Nancy Pelosi. Susan then reversed her vote. Does this fact mean that Pelosi's pressure contained outright bribes and/or threats? The passage of this HealthCare Bill altered life in the U.S. as we knew it. We can hope that Susan Kosmas has made her final political decision, and her peace with whatever gods rule her.
•The following text is from a county emergency manager in Minot, North Dakota:
"Weather bulletin: Up here in the northern part of North Dakota we just recovered in past weeks from an Historic event — may I even say a 'Weather Event of Biblical Proportions'? — with an historic blizzard of up to 25 inches of snow and winds 50 mph that broke trees in half, knocked down utility poles, stranded hundreds of motorists in lethal snow banks, closed all roads, isolated scores of communities and cut power to 10s of thousands.
FYI: Obama did not show up.
FEMA did nothing.
We didn't want 'em. We'll fix it ourselves, said locals."
• Egypt, after voting 79 percent of the time against the United States in the United Nations, still receives $2 billion annually in U.S. foreign aid! (Wonder what we give to our friends?)
• Despite the power of the forceful American Jewish Lobby, President Obama continues to amaze with his inamicability against Israel and its leaders.
• Baltimore, Orlando and Connecticut opera companies have closed as well as many others. Cutbacks are being felt at the Met, New York City Opera Company, Los Angeles and Washington opera companies. Endowments have shrunk, ticket sales are down, and donors are disappearing. Are we to assume the awful-awful: that opera as a prominent art-form in our culture is dead? Is a "night at the opera" to become just another night at the movie theater?
•"With hurricanes, tornados, fires out of control, mud slides, flooding, severe thunderstorms tearing up the country from one end to another, and with the threat of bird flu and terrorist attacks, are we sure this is good time to take God out of the Pledge of Allegiance?"— Jay Leno
•(From a reader):"This woman's husband had been slipping in and out of a coma for several months, yet she had stayed by his bedside every single day. One day, when he came to, he motioned for her to come nearer. As she sat by him, he whispered, eyes full of tears, 'You know what? You have been with me through all the bad times. When I got fired, you were there to support me. When my business failed, you were there. When I got shot, you were by my side. When we lost the house, you stayed right here. When my health started failing, you were still by my side...You know what? ''What dear', she gently asked, smiling as her heart began to fill with warmth. 'I'm beginning to think you bring me bad luck.'"
• Recently, still another letter to the editor about the nature of downtown Winter Park was in the Observer. Once again, we are reminded that things that happen in the future of our downtown will surely influence the life that we live here. The letter-writer took no side. I do not think that one has to be an antedeluvian conservative to suggest that we exercise intelligent forethought. Present day Winter Park might be likened to an attractive young woman. Do we want her to dress and make herself up tastefully, or would we rather that she pull out all the stops to please every Johnny-come-lately? My thought is that Winter Park's tasteful mien is what attracts desirable residents.
• Looking for a guy to spend all your money? A guy to bully all the small countries that used to like us? A guy that has doubled the people on food stamps in one year? A guy who has doubled the welfare rolls in a year? A guy who is tripling our deficit? A guy who has insulted Israel and many other of our biggest and best friends? A guy who has single-handedly scrapped the greatest medical system the world has ever known? A guy who abhors the U.S. Constitution? A guy who practices cronyism religiously? A guy who's treasury chief didn't pay his own taxes? A guy who studies Marx avidly and has friends whose favorite philosophers are Mao and Marx? A guy who votes the opposite of what national polls tell him the people want? A guy whom the people warn not to bankrupt the country—after he has already bankrupted it? A guy who preaches unity and yet has divided the country to his own advantage, and the disadvantage of us all? The guy is easy to find — you (not I!) put him in the White House.
•President Woodrow Wilson's wacko Progressive notions sure -as-shootin' laid the ground-work for the Obama administration's foggy approach to international affairs.
•Many people feel that something cataclysmic is in the wings, something that will change us forever. This feeling should not be confused with the mouthings of Obama, and other Leftie pols, who look to political ranting to guide them. Is it possible that such a metamorphosis could emerge organically from the collective sensibilities of all mankind? The advent and proliferation of weapons of mass distruction leave the choice up to humanity. It's life or death. We're all in it. Take your choice— it may be the last choice you get....
•Michelle Obama states: "On our trip, Barack and I went to his home country of Kenya." Obama sure has fine digs whenever he decides to be a visitor in the USA, doesn't he?